Friday 24 June 2011

SUSTAINABLE TOOL OF WEIGHT LOSS

The approach and style of a Nutritionist or Dietitian to weight loss usually seems laid back to some individuals who want to lose weight.  Some people ask, Why do I have to wait for 6 months to lose 25kg/55 lbs when I can lose all that in 1 month if I wire my jaws or use pills? My answer is that they will not be able to sustain that weight loss over the next few months. The FOUNDATION of A HEALTHY FOOD PLAN are VARIETY, BALANCE and MODERATION.

I know people who actually lost significant amount of weight on those crazy diets usually called Fad diets, but none has been able to maintain such weight loss on the long run. The major reason is that such diets are so rigid and impractical that nobody can remain on them for life. For instance, an individual with wired jaws can only sip liquids with the aid of a straw. For how long if I may ask? Also, People’s experience and research has showed that the use of pills like laxatives to achieve weight loss usually results in loss of body fluids and electrolytes and not excess body fat.  Some of these fad diets also results in loss of lean muscles rather than body fats, unfortunately when the weight is gained back it is usually in form of fat which are harder to lose and results in the yo-yo weight gain syndrome.

Oh, I just want to jump start my weight loss program with an extreme measure, then I can eat moderately to sustain my achieved weight goal some do rationalize, but they do not follow through on such because they do not know how. I am not disputing the fact that some individuals may need to jump start their weight loss, but I will recommend that such individuals consult a Dietitian or Nutritionist who will help them to plan a relatively healthy way to jump start the weight loss,  also calculate what will be needed  to further lose the remaining weight at a pace the body will gradually get used to and recalculate the body calorie need when the  desired weight is achieved to enable sustenance  over the years.
The way forward is to balance one’s diet by consuming a variety of foods daily with physical activities. The need for increased physical activities cannot be overemphasized as this enhances loss of body fats and enhances lean muscles build up which uses up more calorie even at rest.
Note that there are no “good” or “bad” foods as such, it is the way we process them and the regularity of consumption that usually causes the problems with food.
Finally, my peeps, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on this things. Philippians 4 verse 8

No comments:

Post a Comment